Sunday, October 03, 2004

Roller derby risk-taker

News Tribune page designer Elysia Smith participates in a tryout for the Rat City Rollergirls.

I am officially a danger to myself.

Though others might have been saying that for quite some time, it didn't hit me until after I decided it would be a good idea to try out for a women's roller derby team in Seattle.

Now I'm starting to believe them.

Doing what some deem to be crazy isn't new territory for me. Sometimes I think I've created a subconscious checklist of strange goals for myself to go out and fulfill.

"Go out, get a job and become Chuck E. Cheese. Check."

"Sign up for strange food eating contests without hesitation. Check."

"Sleep on the streets of a foreign country. Check."

It seemed logical that the Rat City Rollergirls roller derby tryout was next.

[snip]

Those trying out had to traverse three stations: an interview, a paperwork session and a skills test. After a warm-up skate, I was glad that my skills test session was last, so I could catch my breath from the 10-minute warm-up.

"I'm going to die," I thought.


Read the full story here.


No comments: